April 25, 2015

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) - Cassandra Clare

April 25, 2015
City of Bones
by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments (#1)
Publication: Margaret K. McElderry Books on February 19, 2008
Format: Paperback, 485 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Magic, Paranormal, Angels

Jacket copy:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons.  Then the body disappears into thin air.  It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died.  Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons.  It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk.  Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon.  But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother?  And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight?  The Shadowhunters would like to know . . .

I had no idea what to expect when picking up this book from the library.  Prior to reading, I had heard from both sides of the spectrum: extreme praise or lackluster response.  Well, after reading, I can definitely tell you I'm on the "extreme praise" side of the spectrum, which is why, (though I'm many years late to the "Shadowhunter obsession"), I've decided to write up a review.  Everyone says this, but honestly?  I couldn't stop turning the pages.

Cassandra Clare made this book so easy to love.  Clare's plot is well thought out, creative, intriguing, and EXCITING.  After reading Red Queen and being disappointed plot-wise, I was on the lookout for another action packed book that did not lack in this area.  City of Bones definitely filled this niche for me.  I admire authors whom, like Cassandra Clare, take that extra step when planning out their plots, perfectly weaving in twists and turns to craft stories like no other.  As a reader, I love being surprised by the big plot twists of the story, and City of Bones threw an amazing jaw-dropper I never saw coming. 

You fall into the story almost instantly, however, it does take a couple chapters to acclimate yourself fully.  At first, I wasn't sure what to think of the whole Shadowhunter world, but as the story progresses, the storyline undoubtedly improves, so I implore weary readers to proceed on.

Besides the plot itself, a big plus was Clary's love interest, Jace.  His character added so much to the story, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading his dialogue from the snide remarks to the amusing jabs.  I adored Clare's other characters as well, such as Simon, Alec, Isabelle, and of course, Clary, who were all so full of personality and life.

City of Bones was an unputdownable read!  Immediately after finishing this first book in The Mortal Instruments Series, I started on the second, and in only a couple of days, I successfully plowed through all of the first three.


author image

Julia Anne

I'm a teen with a refined taste for good books and great writing, currently living in Honolulu, HI. I'm a reader. A dreamer. And an aspirant writer. One day I have hopes to travel the world, but for now, I'll settle with venturing through the written works I read.

No comments :

Post a Comment

peach print | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio | Header Illustration by Freepik.