June 20, 2015

Book Review: All the Rage by Courtney Summers

June 20, 2015
All the Rage
by Courtney Summers
Series: Standalone
Publication: St. Martin's Griffin on April 14, 2015
Format: Hardcover, 321 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Realistic Fiction, Abuse

The sheriff's son, Kellan Turner, is not the golden boy everyone thinks he is, and Romy Grey knows that for a fact.  Because no one wants to believe a girl from the wrong side of town, the truth about him has cost her everything - friends, family, and her community.  After she's been branded a liar and bullied relentlessly by a group of kids she used to hang out with, Romy's only refuge is the diner where she works outside of town.  No one knows her name of her past there; she can finally be anonymous.  But when a girl with ties to both Romy and Kellan goes missing after a party, and news of him assaulting another girl in a town close by gets out, Romy must decide whether she wants to fight or carry the burden of knowing more girls could get hurt if she doesn't speak up.  Nobody believed her the first time - and they certainly won't now - but the cost of her silence might be more than she can bear.

With a shocking conclusion and writing that will absolutely knock you out, All the Rage examines the shame and silence inflicted upon young women in a culture that refuses to protect them.

All the Rage will knock you out.  A heavy, highly emotional read, this well-written 2015 standalone by author Courtney Summers manages to tackle and put out in the open what's often left unsaid.



  • + The tough subject.  Not everyone is willing or able to take on a topic like rape.  Courtney Summers did an exceptional job.

  • + The emotions.  If anything, this book knows how to stir up emotions in you.  You'll feel angry, enraged.  ALL THE RAGE.  Sad.  Upset.  You'll feel for Romy, and feel absolutely disgusted at the way society treats her.

  • + The mystery.  There was a bit of a mystery thrown in the book.  Romy wakes up discarded on the side of the road without a recollection of the previous night.  It turns out Penny Young, Romy's former best friend, also went missing the same night.  The mystery added an exciting aspect to the storyline.

  • + You don't actually meet Kellan Turner.  I know other readers may feel this is a fault of the novel, but personally, I feel the opposite.  Kellan Turner, the sheriff's son who raped Romy, isn't actually present throughout most of the story.  The reader doesn't formally meet him or get to know him.  Yet in a different sense, Kellan Turner is very much present.  Romy lives her life day-in and day-out haunted by the memory of her assaulter.  There are some scars that never fade, and there are some scars that you can't see from the outside.

  • + A powerful message.  Read the book and you'll understand.


  • - Romy (at times).  She's a broken character, and she's been through a lot.  I understand.  But Romy could honestly be frustrating at times, pushing people away, unintentionally hurting them, lying, refusing to confide in her supporters.  It just goes to show how damaged Romy is . . . she lost her voice when people first refused to believe her truths.

  • - Unanswered questions.  Unexplored thoughts.  There was quite a lot that went unsaid.  As a reader, I wished to learn more about Penny and the girls' friendship.  I wished to learn more about Kellan Turner and the incident.  I wished to learn more about the mystery, and how it all went down that night.

  • - Lacked resolution.  The ending was a bit . . . abrupt for me (and a bit anticlimactic).  It's not that I expect a "high-thriller" from each book I pick up, but I'm not sure if I turned the final page feeling satisfied.



author image

Julia Anne

I'm a teen with a refined taste for good books and great writing, currently living in Honolulu, HI. I'm a reader. A dreamer. And an aspirant writer. One day I have hopes to travel the world, but for now, I'll settle with venturing through the written works I read.

8 comments :

  1. I've heard this book is really impactful and emotional as it discusses such a tough subject. They mystery aspect sounds really interesting. Oh gosh, I can't even imagine how high the emotions must be running in this book. I hate books that have no resolution, it seems as though the book kind of just leaves off, no? Lovely review, my dear!!

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rachel! Yes, All the Rage definitely was an emotional, impactful read. It's not my usual fare, but I'm still glad I decided to give it a chance. As you know, I'm having mixed feelings about the ending. It's not that it just left off, but . . . I found it a bit strange. I can't quite explain; It's hard to put what I mean into words.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, and while Romy was hard to like I think Summers captured how someone broken like this acts. Despite some issues for you, I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog, Kimberly! I also enjoyed this read, and I have to agree.

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  3. This sounds absolutely amazing. I love the sound of all the emotions and the thought-provoking topics it tosses at you. And you can never go wrong with a good mystery too, right? It's a shame that it was a bit open in its ending, but I think everything else makes up for it and then some. ;) Thanks for sharing Julia Anne and fabulous review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Zoe! Yes, All the Rage is worth the read. It's a bit different from what I usually pick out for myself, but I definitely think it's worthy of praise. If you happen to read the book for yourself, let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  4. This book sounds phenomenal, and I'm glad to see another positive review! I've heard it does an AMAZING job dealing with its tough subject, sending a hugely important message about rape culture and telling a very emotional story. Romy's actions do sound a bit frustrating, but like you said, she's been through a lot, so I doubt they'll detract from the story for me. I'm so, so excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely enjoyed this one! You heard right: Courtney Summers did an amazing job writing about such a tough subject. I hope you'll get the chance to read this book soon. I look forward to your review. :)

      Thanks for visiting the blog!

      Julia Anne

      Delete

peach print | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio | Header Illustration by Freepik.