July 15, 2015

#BookProbs: Ten Struggles Bibliophiles Face

July 15, 2015
We all know being a bibliophile isn't all too easy in this technological, advanced day and age.  As a book lover, I struggle to make it through the 24 hours in a day.

Why?  Well, if you're a fellow bibliophile, you know why.

Here's a list of ten struggles we face:

When . . . 

1. PEOPLE TALK WHILE YOU'RE READING


I seriously cannot handle when people are having conversations with each other or (even worse) trying to have conversations with me while I'm very obviously reading.  Jesus Christ, people, do you not see that book open in front of me?


I require complete peace and quiet.  Please kindly take your loud mouths elsewhere.



2. THE BOOKSTORE/LIBRARY DOESN'T HAVE WHAT YOU WANT

Oh, the absolute horror.  When I want to read a book, I want to read it now.  Now meaning I can't continue living another day without that book in my possession.

This is how it usually goes:


First, the anger.


Then, the sadness.


A whole lot of sadness . . .


:'(
</3


3. YOU SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY ON BOOKS


Yup.


4. YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

Ah, yes.  This is how new love is bloomed.


First, the love.


Then, the obsession.


The excitement.


The screaming.


The FANGIRLING.

But then,
TRAGEDY STRIKES.

YOU REALIZE THE BOOK IS OVER.

YOU REALIZE . . .

YOUR FICTIONAL LOVE?

IS . . . well . . . FICTIONAL.




5. YOU FANGIRL BUT HAVE NO ONE TO FANGIRL WITH

Even worse than fangirling over fictional characters?

Having no one to fangirl with.





6. AN AUTHOR KILLS OFF YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER

Why do they mess with the feels?!


WHY!?




7. YOU FINISH READING AN AMAZING BOOK

At first, this doesn't seem like a problem, right?  RIGHT?!

WRONG.

Everything's fine and dandy at first, but then, THE BOOK HANGOVER.



And, not to mention . . .
The second/third/hundredth read will never be as good as the first.


Yes, you can cry now.

8. PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND PRINT BOOKS

Yes, we have computers and smartphones and e-readers now, but no Kindle, no Nook, can EVER replace the classic, tangible book.

I WILL fight you if you want to argue.

K?

K.

Some people just DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS! ! !

(Like my dad.)


9. PEOPLE ARE CARELESS WITH YOUR BOOKS

If you borrow a book, you take care of that thing like it's a human baby.


GOT IT?!


No dog-ears.

No writing in it.

No messed up jackets.

I'm glad we're on the same page now.


10. YOU CAN'T STOP READING!!


Sigh.

So many bookish problems, so little time.


author image

Julia Anne

I'm a teen with a refined taste for good books and great writing, currently living in Honolulu, HI. I'm a reader. A dreamer. And an aspirant writer. One day I have hopes to travel the world, but for now, I'll settle with venturing through the written works I read.

20 comments :

  1. I can relate to all of these! I love having my Kindle because it's very convenient, but it's so satisfying to add tangible books to my shelves. :)

    Annie @ Indoor Sojourner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog, Annie! These days it seems everyone is gravitating toward those (admittedly) handy eReaders, but I just can't get used to the feel of my Kindle. It's so different having an actual, tangible book with creamy pages as opposed to those electronic screens!

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  2. Very well put and funny. I am having a book hangover as I write. The Expanse novels, scifi, by James S A Corey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog! I'm glad to hear you've read a number of good books recently, but at the same time, I empathize with you for finishing such wonderful reads. Good luck nursing that book hangover of yours!

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  3. Yes! Especially 7 and 8.

    (Shared this post on FB) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Book hangovers? No thank you. And eReaders? I'd rather do without.

      Thanks for sharing on FB. :)

      Julia Anne

      Delete
    2. There were a couple of comments for you on that FB update. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome post, dear!! The struggles are real. I HATE when people try talking to me while I read. I'm busy, guys... I feel so lonely when I fangirl alone... NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME. I love so many fictional characters *heart eyes*

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rach!! YES. That is pretty much my number one pet peeve these days. Can't a girl get her own peace and quiet and some time to herself? People, if a person is holding up a book, it's time to zip those mouths. And THANK YOU for understanding me. When you fangirl, there's just too much giddiness and excitement - you need someone else to share it with!

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  5. It should become a criminal offense to talk to people when they're reading. Like, why would you do that? Are you begging for us to hate you? *sighs*

    There are so many well-written love interests in YA. It's such a shame that they're fictional. (*cries in unfairness*)

    And I completely agree with your assessment of ebooks. I don't really understand why some people like them more than print books. The genuine feeling of flipping a page is virtually incomparable.

    Great post and thanks for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no, but seriously though. Flames start spewing out of my ears when I'm reading and another person has the audacity to strike up a conversation! There's a time and place for everything. And when it's time for reading, no talking!

      Yes again, Zoe! I've fallen in love with way too many fictional characters to count . . . sigh . . . oh, the unfairness of it all.

      I totally understand that eReaders are useful and all, but come on, you CANNOT replace good 'ol print books. Bookstores are slowly dwindling down to nonexistence and technology is prevailing. I dread to see the day when old fashioned books go extinct. :(

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  6. Haha! LOVE this! I agree with everything!

    Although, I do have more of an appreciation for ebooks since going away for college. It made moving each year much easier, and carrying hundreds of books with me everywhere at once very simple. Trust me, trying to fit food from Hawaii (all those boxes of chocolate covered mac nuts... Big Island cookies... Li Hing Mango... and all the snacks) plus books to last me a year away at college was a struggle until I finally decided to buy an ereader. I miss my beautiful shelves though! Once I am not moving around so much, I'll get my shelves and beautiful books back for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! :)

      I have to acknowledge how much easier ebooks have made the distribution and reading of books. (Especially as shown in your moving-to-college example. I can only imagine the chaotic, heavy mess of transporting those books back and forth.) Yes, there are definite pluses to the electronic book world, but I think my heart will always belong to the classic print book! Hope you are reunited with your beautiful shelves and beautiful books soon.

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  7. I love this post because I agree with every one of your points. Even the one about physical books, and I am such a die-hard Kindle reader for the convenience alone, but the feel of an actual physical book in your hands and on your shelf is just so much better in every way, apart from the issue of taking it with you to go on holiday. And the one about people having conversations when you're reading! I hate that, I end up leaving the room so often at home shouting how others will just not shut up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! It's nice to hear we're ALL struggling through the same things, haha. :) Electronic books/readers make life a lot simpler at times, but I cannot live without normal, print books. It's a completely different reading experience. And oh gosh, don't even get me started on my first point! That's pretty much my number one bookish pet peeve. I'm with you, girl.

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  8. AnonymousJuly 23, 2015

    This post is pretty much my whole life XD thanks for the laugh!

    I adore your blog design and graphics as well, so feminine and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think these bookish struggles are definitely relatable. The struggles are REAL. Thanks so much for visiting the blog. It means a lot! :)

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  9. So so accurate!! And in terms of #9? I trust people so little that I hoard the dust jackets so they can't ruin them. I'm that paranoid. Absolutely loved the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I'm with you on that one. The other week my friend borrowed a new hardcover of mine, and I wrapped it up in bedding so she wouldn't damage it on the way home! LOL. Hey, being overprotective of books is a good thing.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Julia Anne

      Delete
  10. This post is so on point! You perfectly captured every sentiment of a bibliophile on every struggle just by using GIFs! <3

    ReplyDelete

peach print | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio | Header Illustration by Freepik.